Coupled with the fact that churches are a significant landmark in every country, Stonehaven have some significant events that took place in the past, which makes its history incomplete without the mention of the churches. This is because churches in Stonehaven have some historical facts attached to them. Very little is known about the what the people in the bronze age believed in, and the progress of Christianity was not completely recorded, but most of the historical facts pertain to the Fetteresso Parish near Stonehaven and Dunnottar Parish.
This is a parish in the county of Kincardine. It was a Roman Catholic church in its first 300 years. In the 1560s, the transition to becoming a Protestant church took place during the reign of Mary Queen of Scots. The 1794s, the Old Statistical Account of Scotland describes Fetteresso Church as being old, and unfit for the congregation. The roof, floor and walls were in a bad shape. However, the last half-century has seen some noteworthy changes, like the new hall in 1970, and the enlarged chancel. Some other major changes include the use of large new oak door instead of the tiny Gothic doorway of 1246. These changes also show how the church has grown in the last 750 years. The remains of the ancient church still exists since the new church was erected in 1813.
Dunnottar Parish Churc, is located south of Stonehaven, just beside Dunnottar woods. It is the same as the Stonehaven Dunnottar Church of Scotland, and has a proud Christian history. In 1582, George Keith 5th Earl Marischal built the Marischal Aisle, which can still be seen on the south of the church. The Covenanters Stone or Martyrs Stone which was built in memory of the 122 men and 45 women who died from the cruelty they faced in the prison, and can be seen at the rear of the Marischal Aisle.